Tales from the Dockyard Church – reminiscence project
We are delighted to have been awarded a grant by the Queenborough Fishery Trust to run an oral history project collecting stories from local people relating to the Dockyard Church.
- Did a member of your family get married at the church?
- Do you remember when the clock worked?
- Did you worship or play sport there?
- Did you see the fire?
Since we took on the building people have been eager to share their memories of the place as a church, social club and local landmark but we had no official way to capture their reminiscences. In response to this the Sheerness Dockyard Preservation Trust (SDPT) team are delighted to be working in partnership with The Oasis Academy and the University of Kent, for a six-month project during which University specialists will be training pupils in story gathering skills.
Local people of all ages are invited to join us at informal story gathering events on
Thursday 27 April at The Oasis Academy
Marine Parade, Sheerness 10.30am – 12.30pm
Saturday 29 April at Sheerness Gateway Library Hub
(1st floor), High Street, Sheerness 10.30am – 12.30pm
There is no need to book a place, just turn up. The free sessions will be open to anyone with memories of the church or of former family members using it.
We are also keen to build an accompanying archive by taking copies of peoples photographs and memorabilia of the church.
Free tea and coffee will be available.
The collected stories will be recorded and shared in a publication, online and used as inspiration for parts of our education and restoration programmes.
- Mar 17, 2017 Tales from the Dockyard Church – reminiscence project Mar 17, 2017
- Jan 6, 2017 SDPT makes room for 'Room' Jan 6, 2017
- May 9, 2017 Delight as Trust achieves round 1 pass for Heritage Lottery funding May 9, 2017
- Jan 6, 2017 Milestone reached as £4.75M funding bid is submitted Jan 6, 2017
- May 20, 2015 Charitable status granted May 20, 2015